Pain Management at Perinton Veterinary Hospital
Pet pain exists in a wide variety of circumstances, but our goal is to effectively manage or completely eliminate the pain experience for our patients. From surgical anesthesia to managing pain from injuries and illness, Perinton Veterinary Hospital is dedicated to the comfort and safety of your cherished dogs and cats.
Protecting your dogs and cats from unnecessary pain is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Regular, consistent wellness and preventive care is the first step to keeping pets free of pain by vaccinating against serious diseases, parasite management, and early detection of developing problems through laboratory testing and health exams.
- Diligent oral and dental care certainly reduces the risk of pain from broken teeth, infections, and gum disease.
- Proper nutrition, combined with an active lifestyle, decreases the risk of chronic pain from joint issues, obesity, and heart disease.
Preventing painful diseases and conditions in our pets is far superior to managing pain after the fact in regard to both patient comfort and financial impact.
A few symptoms of a dog or cat in pain are:
- Loss of appetite
- Vocalization such as whimpering or yowling
- Acting out or unusual disobedience
- Growling or aggression
- Excessive licking
- Refusal to play or respond to commands
If your pet displays behavioral changes in general, it is important to contact us for an immediate exam.
Safe Pain Control: During & After Surgery
During surgery, we normally use a general anesthesia. In order to ensure your pet’s safety and comfort, a human technician will monitor your pet for evaluation the entire time. We use several methods to monitor your pet, including:
- Doppler blood pressure
- Oxygen levels
Following surgery, your pet will often experience some pain during recovery. Perinton tailors the course of pain management for your pet. This can include pain patches, oral medications or other options to keep your pet as comfortable as possible as they recover.
Medications from our Pharmacy
Our complete in-house pharmacy gives you the benefit of starting pet medications immediately, to eliminate pain and treat the source of discomfort. We stock a broad spectrum of veterinary pharmaceuticals, to relieve pain and assist in recovery from illness or surgery, as well as a number of prescription diets.
Our trained staff is available to give you instruction on appropriate administration techniques as well as daily recommended doses. Refill orders can be phoned in for quick and efficient pick-up. We also offer home delivery for online refills from Perinton’s website pharmacy.